Social Saturday is all about encouraging people to buy from social enterprises, businesses that put people and planet first. Its an annual campaign, supported by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
There are lots of fabulous enterprises to buy from at www.socialsaturday.org.uk.
SOCIAL SATURDAY 2016
The day [15 October] was a great success:
- Actor Michael Sheen supported the day and met Social Enterprise UK members.
- More than 20 MPs (from various political parties) visited social enterprises across the country, including Caroline Lucas (Co-Leader of the Green Party), Ed Vaisey, Conservative MP for Didcot and Wantage and Cat Smith, Labour MP for Lancaster and Fleetwood.
- Around 60 events took place across the UK, in places including Newcastle, Scarborough, Norwich, London, Bristol, Loughborough, Plymouth and Oxford.
- Peter Holbrook, CEO of Social Enterprise UK appeared on Sky Television news to kick start the day, and we secured bags of regional coverage on the radio and in newspapers.
- #SocialSaturday2016 trended on Twitter.
Click on the image below to see some pictures from the day:
Click on the image below to see pictures from the Social Saturday Parliamentary launch with Minister for Civil Society, Rob Wilson:
SOCIAL SATURDAY 2015
On 10 October, more than 80 social enterprise led events took place throughout the UK. From pop-up markets to film-screenings, dinner parties to open-mic events – Social Saturday shone a spotlight on the great work social enterprises do across the country. The campaign had a Twitter reach of more than 10 million, was trending on the day and saw Twitter involvement from Jamie Oliver, Number 10 Downing Street and comedian Chris Addison.
Watch this video to see some of the highlights:
Click on the image below to see photos from the day:
SOCIAL SATURDAY 2014
The first Social Saturday was launched at the House of Commons with Ministers and social enterpreneurs, including Founder of The Big Issue, John Bird, in July 2014. It was standing room only. Social enterprises including Two Fingers Brewery, Belu and Liberation Nuts provided the refreshments.